A herniated disc, which is also called a slipped disc or a ruptured disc, can be a painful and disabling health condition. It occurs when one of the spinal discs tears or ruptures. In a healthy human spine, each spinal disc is like a small jelly donut composed of a gel-like material enclosed in a tougher exterior. These discs serve as cushions between the bones that make up the spine. When one of these discs cracks or ruptures, it can result in pain, numbness, and weakness of the limbs.
A slipped disc can be due to natural causes such as disc degeneration as a person ages. However, there are cases where someone else’s negligence leads to a slipped disc injury – for example, in a car crash. In cases like this, the injured may be entitled to compensation, especially since this injury can be both costly and difficult to treat. Our Columbus herniated or slipped disc injury lawyer can help you recover compensation if your injury resulted from an instance of negligence.
Recoverable Damages in Herniated or Slipped Disc Cases
If you were injured because of another party’s actions, our Columbus personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation. Some examples of recoverable damages in herniated disc cases may include:
- Medical bills
- Lost life enjoyment
- Pain and suffering
- Lost or reduced income
- Mental anguish
You should not have to pay for these costs on your own when someone else caused your herniated disc injury.
For a free legal consultation with a herniated or slipped disc injury lawyer serving Columbus, call: (614) 545-3930Call Now »
Causes of a Slipped or Herniated Disc Injury in Columbus
Aging is the most common cause of a herniated disc – as a person gets older, the discs gradually lose their elasticity, making them more prone to tearing.
Aside from aging, certain activities and circumstances can lead to a spinal disc injury. These include:
- Improper lifting of heavy objects
- Repetitive strenuous activities
- A traumatic blow to the back, such as in a vehicle accident
- Long periods of sitting without proper back support
- Exposure to continual vibration, such as when operating heavy equipment
The Last Thing You Should Worry About Is How You’re Going To Pay For Your Medical Bills.Talk To An Attorney Now »
Common Symptoms of Disc Herniation
Some cases of herniated discs don’t have immediate symptoms, but many people who have this condition experience several troubling signs such as:
- Limb pain. A slipped disc on the lower back (lumbar spine) typically causes intense pain in the buttocks, thigh, and calf area and even part of the foot. If the slipped disc is on the neck part of the spine (cervical spine), the intense pain will be in the shoulder and arm area and may shoot further when coughing, sneezing, or moving the spine.
- Numbness or tingling in the area surrounding the slipped disc.
- Muscle weakness. A herniated disc affects nearby nerves, and the muscles that are served by these nerves can weaken. As a result, the injured person may have an impaired ability to hold or lift items or even walk.
Detection and Medical Treatment of a Slipped Disc Injury
While a physical exam may be enough to diagnose a herniated disc, many cases need various imaging procedures and nerve tests to properly determine the affected nerves. Diagnosis typically includes X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, or electromyograms.
When a person is found to have a slipped disc, they may have to undergo a range of treatments. For mild cases, pain medications and muscle relaxers may be enough to relieve the symptoms. Therapy also helps minimize the pain. If the condition persists or if complications start to develop, surgery may be needed.
We Will Be
There To Help
You All The Way
Columbus, OH Herniated Disc Injury Claims
A slipped disc can be emotionally and financially burdensome. There are costly medical procedures to undergo, missed days at work, changes in one’s daily life, and of course, the physical pain that one has to endure. This is why for people who have sustained a spinal disc injury due to another party’s fault, it is worth considering your legal options to ensure fair and just compensation.
This is often not easy to do on your own. Injury victims typically have to go up against insurance companies that are prepared to undermine or even deny their claims.
A slipped disc injury can be particularly difficult to negotiate because this injury does not always show symptoms immediately. This can cause a delay in the claim, and that delay can be used by insurance adjusters to deny responsibility for the injury. Thus, it is crucial for a person who has been in an accident or has started having back pains to get proper medical attention right away.
Moreover, it is wise for the injured to consult an attorney to see if they have a case, determine how much the case is worth, and work for the compensation they deserve.
What Our Herniated Disc Injury Attorney Can Do for Your Case
If you are prepared to build a case against the party who caused your disc injury, our team can help. On your behalf, we will:
- Identify the liable party
- Determine how the herniated disc injury was caused
- Handle communications with insurers and the other party’s legal team
- File an insurance claim or lawsuit
- Calculate the total cost of your damages
- Seek a fair settlement amount that covers the range of your losses
- Analyze the details of your case to determine if negligence played a role in your injuries
- Work with you on a contingency-fee bases
You do not have to handle the legal details of your case alone. While you focus on taking care of your injury, our Columbus herniated or slipped disc lawyer will build your case.
Experienced Columbus Slipped Disc Lawyer
The Fitch Law Firm LLC has helped hundreds of injury victims regain their peaceful lives by successfully handling their cases. With over 30 years of experience in the field of injury law, our firm is trusted by Columbus residents for our commitment to each client’s well-being.
For a free initial consultation, contact our team today.
The Next Call You Make
After Calling 911
Should Be Us.