From 1953 through 1987, the water at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune was contaminated with toxic chemicals making it unsafe for use. Since then, many victims have discovered health issues that are linked to the water contamination at Camp Lejeune.
Some health issues may not have developed right away, so it can be challenging to determine the connection between exposure and your health issues. Our team is prepared to help those who have been affected by the water contamination seek justice.
Types of Health Issues Associated With Camp Lejeune Contaminated Water
A host of health issues can arise if you’re exposed to dangerous chemicals.
For instance, you could develop certain types of cancers or you could experience female infertility. Maybe your child was born with birth defects or you had a miscarriage. Health problems are not only a financial nuisance—they can shorten your life and cause emotional upheaval.
Health issues can cause enormous disruption to your life. You could have difficulty working, be struggling with physical pain, be faced with emotional trauma, or be dealing with the loss of your enjoyment of life.
Here are some of the types of health issues that could arise from exposure to contaminated water, as identified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA):
- Lung cancer
- Liver cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Female infertility
- Esophageal cancer
- Renal toxicity
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Neurobehavioral effects
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Hepatic steatosis
If you discovered a health issue that you believe is related to exposure at Camp Lejeune, you have options for seeking justice and compensation. What happened to you has happened to others, and you could pursue legal remedies for everything you have been through.
What Do I Do if Exposed to the Water at Camp Lejeune?
If you were exposed to the toxic water at Camp Lejeune, you may have grounds to seek compensation for your health issues and related losses through the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022. You may qualify to file a lawsuit for your losses if you meet the following criteria:
- You lived, worked, or were exposed to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987.
- Your health issue is directly linked to the water contamination at Camp Lejeune.
Filing a lawsuit could allow you to be compensated for losses such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Lost future income
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Lost life enjoyment
- Medical costs
- Permanent injury
- Wrongful death
While you may be eligible to bring a claim or suit for your Camp Lejeune exposure to toxic chemicals, you may want some legal assistance. Our firm is prepared to help you.
What Does a Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawyer Do?
If you believe you are eligible to seek compensation through legal channels, you may be wondering if a lawyer can help. Lawyers can help with a legal case in many ways:
- Our lawyers can investigate your health issues to establish a link between them and the hazardous water at Camp Lejeune. They help you gather evidence to support your case.
- Lawyers provide legal advice and information from beginning to end. They want you to understand all of your legal options and help you understand the laws that will affect your case.
- They will know all the timelines for filing a claim or lawsuit.
- Having a lawyer means having someone in your corner to protect your legal rights and best interests. They can work to prevent you from being taken advantage of or missing out on opportunities you may not know about.
- Your lawyer can file legal paperwork on your behalf, putting your case before the correct parties. If your case goes to court, your lawyer will advocate for you.
They also help you calculate all of your damages so that you can be awarded the right amount of compensation for all that you suffered. When you work with our law firm, you can leave all the legal details to us.
Legal Assistance With Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Health Issues
If you have water contamination health issues that were caused by exposure at Camp Lejeune, you may have grounds for taking legal action. You can seek compensation for the pain and suffering you went through and for other losses such as medical expenses.
Legal assistance is available. Just call The Fitch Law Firm LLC for a free initial consultation. We will help you understand the process of bringing a case and can help you evaluate all of your options. Those responsible for causing your health problems, pain, and financial losses could be made to pay for everything you have experienced. Contact us today.