What happens if you get in a car accident in a rental car is the same thing that happens when you get into an accident in your car. You are entitled to the same financial compensation you would receive while driving the family vehicle. However, the rental agency will also hold you responsible for the damage to their car.
Our personal injury team will help you pursue the at-fault driver for your accident-related expenses. When we represent you, our team requests your medical bills, lost wages, and compensation for your pain and suffering. We also help you understand the options for having the rental car repaired.
How Rental Car Damage Is Covered
According to Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI) guidelines, the damage or total loss of the rental car could be covered in one of four ways:
- If you added a Collision Damage Waiver to your rental, it would relieve you of liability for the damage.
- Your insurance policy may provide partial coverage for your responsibility to the rental company.
- If you charged your rental to a credit card, it might provide coverage similar to your auto insurance policy.
- If your trip plans included travel insurance, it might cover the rental in many of the same ways the rental car agency does.
When we represent you in your pursuit of compensation, we help you explore every option, including pursuing the at-fault driver. Their negligence in causing the accident could entitle you to compensation from their insurance provider to cover the rental car.
Damages You Can Recover from the At-Fault Driver
According to National Safety Council crash data, car accident injuries, fatalities, and property damage totaled more than $240 billion in the first half of 2021. The at-fault driver is responsible for your recoverable damages no matter what car you were driving – even a rental. In addition to damages related to the rental, we help you seek:
- All injury-related medical costs
- All injury-related income loss
- Loss of earning capacity, if applicable
- Mental and emotional distress
- Physical disability or disfigurement
- Current and future pain and suffering
Our team helps you list your recoverable damages and prove their individual and cumulative value. We also ensure the evidence we compile for you proves the at-fault driver’s liability and steers your case toward an insurance settlement versus a court case.
Time Matters When You Seek Compensation
A car accident is a personal injury case and has an applicable statute of limitations. In Ohio car accident cases, generally speaking, the personal injury statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident, according to Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10.
To ensure your request for compensation is not dismissed without being heard, our car accident lawyer determines the relevant statute of limitations based on:
- The outcome of your accident
- The age of any passengers in your car
- Other factors that might change the general filing deadline
Let Us Handle Your Rental Car Accident Case
After an accident in a rental car, the rental agency may not be willing to wait for an accident settlement to repair or replace its vehicle. In addition, the at-fault driver might dispute the cause of the accident, which can add to the resolution timeline. The benefits of hiring our law firm include guidance toward a fair settlement by:
- Preventing a speedy, inadequate, or lowball settlement
- Handling insurance company communication and correspondence
- Dealing with the rental car company
- Assigning an accurate value to your compensation case
We also collect and organize your evidence and present it to the at-fault driver’s insurer, including your car accident report, photos and videos, witness statements, and notes and diagrams from the investigating officer.
Reviews from Past Clients
Our Google reviews and the referrals on our client testimonials page include recommendations like these:
- “I reached out to The Fitch Law Firm and was met with comfort and professionalism. They did an absolutely amazing job with my case and got me a settlement I certainly deserved. I recommend The Fitch Law Firm wholeheartedly!!” – Bill.
- “I found John online and called their office due to high ratings and reviews…He and his staff were very professional and responsive with all forms of communication… I was happy with the amounts both cases were settled for… Thanks to John & team, you deserve a 5-star rating!” – LuAnn.
- “The Fitch Law Firm for the past 2 years has been by my side, going out of their way to help me in my legal situation. I was without a car and Becky even came to me… thank you for all the hard work you have put into my case! You all are the best!!” – Renee.
Our team strives to provide every client with compassionate, responsive legal service and support.
Get Help with Your Rental Car Accident
Find out what happens if you get in a car accident in a rental car, and how our personal injury team can help you seek compensation. Contact one of our team members at the Fitch Law Firm LLC today by calling (614) 545-3930.
The Next Call You Make
After Calling 911
Should Be Us.