The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) lists several disabilities for which Camp Lejeune veterans can get VA disability compensation, including:
- Adult leukemia
- Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Multiple myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Parkinson’s disease
These are the conditions listed for VA disability benefits. VA also explains that the Camp Lejeune Family Member Program recognizes 15 medical conditions linked to water contamination at Camp Lejeune.
You may also be able to sue the U.S. government for a medical condition that is not listed here.
How do You File a Claim for VA Disability Benefits Related to Camp Lejeune?
You can file a claim with VA seeking any disability benefits if you meet the qualifying criteria. VA explains that when you file, you need to provide supporting documentation including:
- Military service records showing that you spent at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between August 1953 and December 1987
- Medical records proving an illness that qualifies you for VA disability benefits
In some cases, veterans have to file appeals after waiting a long time for their initial claim to process. Nevertheless, it may be worth pursuing a VA disability claim for an illness related to water contamination at Camp Lejeune.
Fortunately, legislation now allows veterans and their family members to seek compensation outside of VA’s channels. With the passage of the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022, victims can file a lawsuit to pursue the compensation they need.
Are There Other Options for Seeking Compensation for Damages Related to Camp Lejeune Water Contamination?
Those affected by water contamination at Camp Lejeune can sue for medical expenses and other damages. In August 2022, President Joe Biden signed the Honor Our PACT Act, which contained the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022. This act allows veterans and family members potentially affected by water contamination at Camp Lejeune to sue the government for damages.
I’ve Suffered an Illness that Could Be Linked to Camp Lejeune. What do I Do Now?
An attorney can help veterans or any other party affected by Camp Lejeune water contamination seek compensation. If you do not hire a lawyer to help with your claim, you may:
- Have to venture into uncharted territory by filing a lawsuit on your own
- Experience additional stress
- Have to deal with VA and other parties who may make it difficult for you to get the compensation you are entitled to
The attorneys from our firm will handle every legal responsibility related to your claim or lawsuit.
How a Lawyer from Our Firm Can Pursue Your Disability-Related Compensation
Our firm will lead your claim or lawsuit in its entirety, handling every necessary responsibility including:
- Collecting records from your service: Service records are vital in proving the connection between your time at Camp Lejeune and any resulting illness. If you did not serve, we’ll seek any housing records that prove your stay at Camp Lejeune.
- Documenting your Camp Lejeune-related illness: Our attorneys will work with medical experts to document your contamination-related illness. Official diagnoses, medical imaging, and other medical records will be key pieces of your VA claim or Camp Lejeune lawsuit.
- Documenting your recoverable damages: Your illness is the source of other damages, which may include lost income and medical expenses. We’ll document your damages with bills, expert testimony, and other relevant documentation.
- Calculating the total cost of your damages: We’ll calculate the money you deserve for every damage caused by contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.
- Fighting for a settlement: Our firm will represent you during settlement negotiations. We understand how to communicate with other parties involved in your case to help you pursue fair compensation.
When passing the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022, lawmakers included systems for deducting VA benefits from any compensation that plaintiffs get from a lawsuit. Let our team fight for all the compensation you deserve, whether through a disability claim or lawsuit.
Recoverable Damages for Victims of Water Contamination at Camp Lejeune
Those sickened because of contaminated water at Camp Lejeune may get money to cover:
- Medical care
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Lost earning power
- Psychological treatment
- The loss of a loved one
Whether you’re battling an illness, have recovered from a past illness, or have tragically lost a loved one, The Fitch Law Firm LLC is ready to pursue the compensation you deserve.
We Will Be
There To Help
You All The Way
Call The Fitch Law Firm LLC Today for Your Free Consultation
Veterans and their family members deserve justice after being exposed to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. Let us seek financial recovery on your behalf. We will further explain your options for pursuing compensation when you reach out to us.
Call The Fitch Law Firm LLC today for your free consultation.
The Next Call You Make
After Calling 911
Should Be Us.