Fleeing the scene of a car accident is illegal, may subject you to criminal prosecution, and could hinder your potential monetary recovery. It can also make it difficult or impossible to prove you were not at fault for the accident and are entitled to financial compensation.
Our car accident lawyer will help you understand why you should never leave the scene of an accident. We can explain the legal consequences you could face and the impact fleeing the scene can have if you request financial compensation later. We can also explain how to get the information you need to build your case and how we organize and present it to the at-fault driver and their insurance provider.
Is it Important to Call Police to Car Accident Scenes?
According to Insurance Information Institute (III) guidelines, rather than flee the scene, you should move your car out of the flow of traffic and stay put until police arrive. No matter how major or minor a car accident is, you should always call the police to the scene. They can:
- Check all involved parties for injuries
- Summon emergency medical technicians
- Conduct an investigation into the accident
- Issue tickets and violations to the at-fault driver
The police who arrive on the scene will also generate an official car crash report that will contain valuable information. Their report might also include helpful information, including contact details for the at-fault party, their insurer, and anyone who witnessed the accident.
Leaving the Scene May Open the Door for Comparative Negligence Laws
Your refusal to call the police or remain at the accident scene may contribute to a comparative negligence claim against you. In the absence of independent witnesses, the at-fault driver could potentially attribute full or partial fault for the car crash to you. If that happens, comparative negligence laws in your state could:
- Diminish your potential monetary award
- Prevent your from recovering damages at all
By remaining at the accident scene, you help protect your right to recoverable damages. You also ensure the story of your accident is recorded correctly and your right to compensation may not be jeopardized.
Staying At the Car Accident Scene Can Help You Recover Damages
By not leaving the scene of an accident, you gain access to emergency medical assistance if you need it. You also ensure documentation of your version of events. Damages we request for you include:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future loss of income
- Current and future pain and suffering
- Property damage or destruction
- Mental and emotional distress
We will do more than assess the value of your potential compensation. We also collect the evidence that proves liability and hopefully proves your lack of fault.
How Will a Car Accident Attorney Help My Case?
Fighting for compensation has a time limit. When our car accident lawyer represents you, we make sure your case complies with the relevant statute of limitations. When we get involved early, we also have time to view the accident scene and investigate for photos and videos. Additional actions we take on your behalf include:
- Investigate the cause of the crash
- Prove the at-fault driver’s negligence
- Locate and interview accident witnesses
- Provide you with timely updates on your case
- Negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company
We handle evidence collection. We never stop advocating for you or fighting for the compensation you are entitled to resulting from the at-fault driver’s negligence.
We Are Passionate About Fighting For Our Clients
Our entire legal team is committed to your fight for compensation. When they leave testimonials on our reviews page, they say:
- Sharon Rozier: I called and spoke with Becky… That same day John called me back and made a house call to me on a Sunday… His professionalism and expertise kept me at ease. He fought for me until the end… I would highly recommend The Fitch Law Firm.
- Jennifer Nguyen: Kirsten was absolutely amazing! She worked diligently to reach a settlement on my case and kept me informed every step of the way… Very professional and responsive… I highly recommend her for any legal matter.
We do more than fight for you-we fight to make sure you have an outstanding experience in our office and get the support and encouragement you need.
Call to Learn More About the Ramifications of Leaving the Scene of a Car Accident
If you were involved in a car accident, you should never leave the scene. Our car accident lawyer will help you determine your next steps, and help prove your right to financial compensation. Find out how we can help your case by contacting the Fitch Law Firm LLC at (614) 545-3930 today.
The Next Call You Make
After Calling 911
Should Be Us.